This page describes how to set up video creatives in Google Ad Manager for use with Prebid.js.
For general Google Ad Manager line item setup instructions, see the other pages in this section.
For engineering setup instructions, see Show Video Ads with a Google Ad Manager Video Tag.
Be sure to duplicate your line item and video creative for each Prebid price bucket you intend to create.
By default, Prebid.js caps all CPMs at $20. As a video seller, you may expect to see CPMs higher than $20. In order to receive those bids, you’ll need to make sure your dev team implements custom price buckets as described in the engineering setup instructions. Once those changes are made on the engineering side, there should be no changes required from the ad ops side to support CPMs over $20.
When setting up video creatives, it’s important to understand where the VAST XML is stored for each of your bidders. The most common place to store VAST XML is AppNexus’ cache, but some bidders (such as RubiconProject and SpotX) use their own cache services. To support such bidders, you will need to choose one of the following approaches:
If you only use bidders that provide full VAST responses, no special setup is needed. Otherwise, do the following:
1. For each line item you create, click on the Creatives tab, click the ADD CREATIVE button, and choose the size you're entering.
2. In the dialog that appears, choose Redirect.
3. Set the VAST tag URL to the cache location.
If you’re using a single order for all bidders, then the VAST URL will be the same for each bidder:
If you’re using different orders for each bidder, the VAST URL for each will include the bidder-specific targeting variable:
This VAST tag URL is required in order to show video ads. It points to a server-side cache hosted by your Prebid Server provider.
Prebid Cache and the VAST creative URL warning
Google Ad Manager will show you a warning stating that fetching VAST from the creative URL failed. This is expected, since the creative URL above points to a server-side asset cache hosted by Prebid Server.
4. Set the Duration to 1.
The resulting creative should look something like the following:
1. In the line item's Expected creatives box, choose Creative Targeting and "Add New Targeting".
2. Give the targeting set a name like "Prebid Default Video Cache URL" and set Custom Targeting as appropriate, e.g., "hb_bidder is none of rubicon, spotx". Save the targeting.
3. For each bidder that uses their own cache, click ADD SIZE in the "Expected creatives" section. Again, choose Creative Targeting and "Add New Targeting".
4. Give the targeting a name like "Prebid Rubicon Video Cache URL". Set Custom Targeting appropriately, e.g., "hb_bidder is any of rubicon". Save the targeting.
5. Save the line item.
Now that the targeting is defined, we're going to add the creatives.
6. Go to the line item's Creatives tab.
7. Make one creative for each of the targets. There are a couple of ways to do this on the GAM UI, but each approach will result in a creative entry screen similar to the screenshot above for the "Single Cache Location" process. Enter a name (e.g. "AppNexus VAST tag") and the VAST URL as described above.
8. The end result should look something like this:
That’s it as far as Prebid setup is concerned. At this point you can add any other options you would normally use, such as labels or tracking URLs.